Banner
UsernamePassword
Banner Skully
1 Month Recap and Shop Party! - Episode #173
April 19, 2012 at 2:46pm
Do You <3 BMTV? Spread the Word!
on Twitter
on Facebook
by Email
Our journey has come to an end! The shop has officially been open for a month! View to see if we're making a profit or loosing money, and I give you the grand total opening cost (it's way more than you think!).

Also, to celebrate all the hard work, we through an industry party and invited tattoo artists and piercers from all over the island. We had a little Art Fusion, food, drinks, and some nekkidness ;)

Live Once Ink in Puerto Rico is open for business!
(Please help and share this!)
Comments on this episode (10) Post Comment
"So awesome." by TR_966
"To be honest and blunt, that's the aboslute best thing you can do. If this guy does some truly sick work, and tells you to get in the chair and let him have at it, chances are you're in good hands. If this cat has a waiting list, hold out for the work. That's a surefire sign it's worth waiting for. If you bring an idea to this artist and he can whip something out with a sharpie wherever you're wanting it, go for it. I have tattooed over half my life and the pieces that are the best are the ones that people give me an idea and let me go to town on. I have done sleeves like that, and never have had a negative response. By doing this, you accomplish two things. One, you're ensuring you are walking out of the shop with a one of a kind piece, and two, you are showing the artist you trust his judgement to give you what you are wanting. Get in the chair, what are you waiting for?" by Nihal
10 Responses
Pages: [1]
broken
April 19, 2012 at 4:38pm
broken
Congrats on making it such a success so early on! The great thing is, that I know you're in this because you are are passionate about the art and quality tattoos, not the money. Well done, mate!
Adam
April 19, 2012 at 4:58pm
Adam
Thanks man! I appreciate it!!
April 20, 2012 at 9:20am
Collin
Very cool man! I'm curious if you get some arbitrage advantages from running the shop in Puerto Rico. How does your pricing compare to a tattoo shop in California? What's the monthly rent for your shop? Thanks and best of luck moving forward!
Adam
April 20, 2012 at 4:46pm
Adam
As for benefits, the only one I can think of is that there's no winter, so the down time is minimal. Other than that it's pretty much a struggle for everything (as you've probably seen in the videos).

Our rates are currently $120/hr. this is unhear of in PR. Not only how high they are, but the fact that we bill hourly. Everyone here goes by the piece. So an average 4-5 hour tattoo goes for $200(ish). So you can see how we shock the hell out of people =)

But, overall we're doing well and people (other tattoo shops) appreciate what were doing. We just raised the bar!
jkey57
April 22, 2012 at 1:21pm
jkey57
@ Collin - I think you're confused with the meaning of the term arbitrage; Arbitrage requires two or more similar markets. Adam's tattoo shop operates/serves in only one defined location/market. If he wanted to exploit arb opportunity, he would open a second tattoo shop on the island and charge higher rates at either one of the tattoo shops, thus creating arb.

Just thought I'd mention that. Sorry, but I'm an old derivative trader who can't get enough of arb!!!

Good luck with the place, Adam!!!!!
Adam
April 22, 2012 at 3:11pm
Adam
Thank you! I can only hope that one day, this one (or combination of others) will sustain my living expenses so that I can do this full time. I like it a lot more than flying away every week, wearing a suit and tie, and sitting in board room meetings all day. lol!
jkey57
April 22, 2012 at 10:53pm
jkey57
Have no fear, you'll be in good shape. It's a very nice place and definitely nicer than most tattoo shops I've been in (Chicago). Also, you'll do great with the higher pricing. PR consumers are knowledgeable, tech-savy, and have a strong consideration for individuality. A perfect consumer for custom tattoos.

"If you build it, they will come..."
Adam
April 23, 2012 at 1:30am
Adam
Thank you for the words! I'm looking forward to the adventure!
June 1, 2012 at 6:25pm